Monday, March 12, 2007

The Present.

As you should know by now I have recently grown another beard after many years. This has brought many comments, some funny, most complimentary. Most, but not all, appreciate my new look.

The other day at work, a regular customer bought his newspaper and just before he left he said, “Here’s a present for you”, and plonked something down on the counter, acknowledging that I would probably need more.

I know it was meant as a joke and even if it wasn’t, I took it that way and found it highly amusing as many have made that offer, but he was the first to carry it through and actually rock up with a cheap throw away Razor.

On reflection I thought that it was a great practical present in one sense, but as he also acknowledged, one that would not by itself be able to finish the task on a beard like mine.

This made me reflect on many presents that I have both given and received in the past. Have they really been appropriate or adequate for the purpose intended? In other words, how much care do we really take in purchasing presents for others?

Do we consider the purpose it is intended for or do we simply go on convenience or price, when choosing? Do we give because we want to or because we have to? Are we joking or serious in our gift giving? What say you, because I don’t have the answer? Walter

No comments: