Tuesday, March 27, 2007

How do you say sorry?

Recently I read a blurb for a new Book, THE FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES. The gist of the blurb is as follows: Real life involves real people who make real mistakes. Sometimes saying "I'm sorry" just isn't enough. The need for apologies impacts all human relationships.

The good news in that you can learn the art of apology. Through their research and interaction with hundreds of individuals, counsellor Dr. Jennifer Thomas and Dr Gary Chapman, author of the revolutionary THE FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES, have discovered five fundamental aspects or 'languages' of apology:
* Expressing regret - "I'm sorry."
* Accepting responsibility - "I was wrong."
* Making restitution - "What can I do to make it right?"
* Genuinely repenting - "I will try not to do that again."
* Requesting forgiveness - "Will you please forgive me?"

In THE FIVE LANGUAGES OF APOLOGY, you will learn how to recognise your own primary apology language while speaking the languages of those you love. Understanding and applying the five languages of apology will greatly enhance all of your relationships.

Now I have not bought the book, and going on my past record, even if I did, I would struggle to find the time to read it. However I did find it interesting that many have in practise, as well as in this book, divided the full meaning of being sorry and diluted it down, so as to often only being partly sorry.

Sorry that they got caught rather than sorry that they did it.

Asking for forgiveness without wanting to make some sort of restitution.

Accepting full responsibility rather than trying to shift or share the blame.

What about you when you say sorry? Do you mean all the above mentioned aspects of truly being sorry? Or only what you feel you have too?

So, how sorry are you? Walter.

No comments: