Thursday, March 15, 2007

Not always on the same wavelength! Are You?

A bit of lighthearted nonsense for you today. The other day I visited a family I didn’t previously know and were introduced to 3 of their 4 children Tim, Mary and Peter. Later I found out that the forth was called Paul.

Now I don’t think it was a “Travers”-ty of Justice, nor did I realize I was “blowing in the Wind”, after all, the children all were of the age to have been born in the Folk heyday of the 1960’s & 70”s.

However their names were not a result of their parents being avid Peter, Paul & Mary devotees, but rather of their mother’s Catholic background.

They were born in the order of Paul, (The Apostle), Timothy (Paul’s offsider), Peter (the other major Apostle and Head of the Roman Church), and Mary (The Virgin Mary of Course).

Now coming from a nominal Christian, let alone non Catholic background, this line of thought, although very logical, once thought of by outsiders, was not my first thought.

How about you? Have you ever been in a situation where you have (rightly) reacted according to your understanding, only to find yourself on the wrong side of the situation, because you not so much misunderstood, but rather misinterpreted what you heard?

How much time do we really take to try and get the full understanding of what has been said and whether we fully understand it from all sides, before we react?

Conversely, how careful are we in what we say, so that misunderstandings, although probably never totally possible to prevent, can be kept to a minimum.

Well this is turning out a little heavier than I expected, so I think I had better close here. Catch you later: Walter.

P.S. If you didn’t get the “Travers”-ty joke, I guess you didn’t know Mary’s (Of Peter, Paul & Mary) last name! Or that, “Blowing in the wind” was a No.2 hit for them?

No comments: