Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ruby Red Rhubarb.


I have never been a real fan of Rhubarb, although my wife and oldest daughter quite like it as a dessert. I have grown it in various places we have lived in the past, but mainly because it was there before us. I do not currently have any growing here, but will soon change that. Come the Winter when the time to transplant it comes!

In another article called “Remember Me” I told of a living gift that I was given to remember my dad by. It was a gift gratefully received and even more greatly appreciated. However I didn’t really need a plant to remember my dad by as there are already quite a few that automatically remind me of dad.

I won’t list them here but will mention one. Rhubarb. More specifically, one type of Rhubarb.

Dad had a fruit and Veggie round from the back of his truck that he did three days of the week. As part of that project he also grew as many veggies as he could for his own business during the rest of the week.

He never sold a lot of Rhubarb but always sold a few bunches every week and so tried to grow it all year round. To do this successfully for his needs, he grew three different varieties. I don’t remember all their names or if he even knew them. There was one variety that produced almost all year round, but was of a poorer type. Then there was another variety that produced later again in the season, which was okay, but still not the best on the then market.

And then … And then, there was Ruby Red. A truly dormant variety, but when growing and eaten, a truly lovely Rhubarb. This was dad’s true favourite and even when he retired from the round and growing veggies commercially, he still kept the evergreen variety as well as his beloved Ruby Red.

Some 25 years after retirement and when he was no longer able to look after his by then small veggie garden (still larger than most back gardens,) some rhubarb, including Ruby red; was brought up to a plot near the house and planted by my last born and myself, under his watchful supervision, where it still grows today, some 4 years on.

Not much is used in the house theses days but much is given away as a practical reminder of dad and his desirable ruby red.

How about you? I am not asking here what you have to remember others by, but what I am asking is, “What do others have to remember you by?”

My father will be remembered, among other things, for his Daffodils, Rhubarb, and generosity with them. My Mother for her proverbial wisdom and strength, my wife for her kindness and her Needlecraft, me for my Wife, Kids, and plants!

Now what about you? What will others see that will automatically and spontaneously remind them of you? Some act of kindness or talent? Over to you again: Walter

No comments: