Saturday, March 24, 2007

Seeing but not seeing. .

Recently I went shopping with my wife and daughter as usual. Rather I should say we went to the shopping centre together as usual, as we all have coffee together before I go off to do my own thing, while they go off to do the main grocery shopping.

As their part in helping the environment, they use recyclable Shopping bags. Somehow today I ended up walking around with one of those bags stuffed almost to overflowing with other empty ones. I went into one shop to purchase a few small things.

Plonking the bag of bags on the counter more for them to do a security check than for my own convenience, I was stunned to be asked if I wanted a plastic bag for my few things. Refusing the offer I went to another store. Again I took my purchase with me and plonked my empty bags on the counter where I was even more stunned to find the guy stuffing my purchases into a plastic bag for me. Again I refused the bag and taking my purchases left. Left wondering! Wondering how they could not help but see the empty bags and yet, they still proceeded with their normal procedures.

Yet I couldn’t help wondering how many times I have done something similar. Seen something, but not truly seen the proper implications of that cursory observation? How about you? Has your life become so boring or so routine that you do it without thinking or with out any real feeling or concern for yourself, or for what you are doing; or the people you are supposedly helping?

If so what do you think you can you do about righting the situation? Better still, what do you need to do, to have your eyes opened again so that you can see again and be more contributive to all around you?

Again, over to you: Walter

No comments: