Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tatt’s the Man.

At the Railway Station People pass by every morning, some even stooping to buying their daily paper from me. Many of them have long stopped being customers but friends instead. One of the most recent, is another of those people that I probably would not have originally put down as future or possible friends, if I had ever previously thought about it.

At first sight, he is on the wirery side, not that tall, blonde short hair, a tooth or two missing and the sort of guy that if he had a beer in his hand you would probably give a wide birth too anyway. The more so, when you see that, apart from the front of his face, all obvious flesh on show, including the back of his neck, is covered by Tattoos. Definitely not the sort of person that I would normally give cheek to, even in my “Joking way”.

However despite his looks, his manner encouraged me to give him some of my usual “Schlick” and surprise, surprise, he responded positively to my humorous approach. So much so that the other day I drummed up the confidence to ask him his name.

So now, Andrëa the Tattoo man is now my latest friend.

What about you? Are there people out there that you will not approach because of some, real or perceived, difference about them? Or are you prepared to put yourself out even just a little and even if in a safe environment like mine, to meet these people half way? Or do you really believe that if they want your friendship, they have to make the first and possible every step?

On the same thought line, how many good potential friends have you scared off by your intolerance of their differences?

Who will you lower your defenses, even if only temporarily, before today? Walter

No comments: