Saturday, June 14, 2008

Spellinmg and Othe rMistakes.

Recently I did a couple of Blogs on Healesville Sanctuary and inadvertently made the same spelling mistake about 7 times in both Blogs. I seems when I came to Healesville, I reveresed the order of the “s” and “e”.

And it was only after the second blog was posted that a dear friend wrote and corrected it, for which I thank him gratefully.

I hadn’t picked it up myself not being a particularly good speller at the best of times and having an American Spell Checker not familiar with the Location of Healesville it slipped through the system, and I would most likely have perpetrated the spelling mistake again if I ever did another article with Healesville in it, if my friend had not taken the trouble to inform me of my error.

What about you when you see errors by others, whether written or physical? Do you take the time and effort to inform, politely of course, like my friend, or do you just ignore them and leave it for somebody else to do so? The problem with that is, if all of us do that and leave it for another or “somebody” else to do this, it usually ends up that “nobody” ends up doing anything and the mistake is perpetrated on and on. Fortunately in my case it would not have been too damming but in some case it might be.

So whenever and where ever, you see some mistake, whether spelling or something else, no matter how minor, and it is within your power and abilities to do something about it, please do try to do so, but courteously too like my friend.

Your efforts may not always be appreciated, but at least you can try and do the right thing. Some may reject your help but others will appreciate. Well I hope so! I did! So in closing, “Thanks again Ian”: Walter

No comments: