Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Don’t Hint. Be specific.

This “For Better or For Worse” comic Strip by Lynn Johnston is similar to the Hagar one about the dangers of not being specific enough. This one has the mother talking on the phone to her friend saying, “ Sure I gave him some hints Anne! I said - buy me something frivolous and expensive – something I can show off to my friends…” She then says, “ I guess it was just a failure to communicate … I was thinking suede coat – while he was thinking Dish-washer.”
Again this highlights the fact that many, and men in particular, (and me, specifically), just don’t take hints very well at all, and if you really want something specific from them/us, then you just have to be very specific up front and not bemoan the fact afterwards when your ‘Hint’ was misinterpreted.
So as we face another New Year, let us all, male and female alike, resolve this New Year to drop the hints and to be more specific about what we do and don’t want. Again let there be no doubts at all as to what we require or desire, but to be plain and polite about everything. What say you?

No comments: