Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tattoos: Easy Enough To Get But Not To Get Rid Of.

Recently read in the Paper that many people who get Tattoos, and especially women, within 5-years regret that decision and want to get rid of them. I forget the exact figures, but I believe it was around 20%. But only about 6% actually do anything about getting rid of them. This may have a lot to do with the fact that apart from being expensive, it often involves fortnightly Laser treatments, for up to two years and sometimes results in permanent scarring too.

Now I don’t know if it is just because I am a “Wuss”, and don’t like even mild pain, but I have never, ever been attracted to the idea of Tattoos. Even the thought of someone deliberately scarring me, has whiskers on it, as far as I am concerned. I have enough accidental scars on me now, to not want deliberate ones too. So anyway, I admit right up front, that I am not a fan of Tattoos, but leave it up to the individual to make their own decisions on the matter.

But what attracted me to this article was that it was relatively simple, even if not pain free, to get a tattoo, but rather much more difficult, lengthy and costly, to get one removed, if you later found that it was a mistake or no longer appropriate.

I guess that the message here for me was, is to make sure, before you get one, that: A. You really want one. And B. Make sure it is really the one you want to “wear” for ever, because, although not impossible, it is difficult to change or remove it later.

What has been said of Tattoos here, is also relevant to many other things in life isn’t it? And especially bad habits, I feel. Which although aren’t always visibly seen like tattoos, can also be very hard to eradicate from your life later, if you change your mind later on, are they?

So before you commit to anything new, do thoroughly check it out. Yes, do check out and investigate all the consequences, pitfalls and hidden costs, of all things in life that have permanent consequences. And don’t most things, even the seemingly benign? Over to you for now.

No comments: