Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Paying the Rent

Paying the Rent 5/5/2007

Recently I read of the Passing of Robert George Picket, better known to some as ‘Bobby “Boris” Picket’. The first thing that surprised me was that, until recently he was still living. I had just assumed that he had died years before.

The other thing that surprised me was that he was only 69. I had always supposed that he was much older. Which just goes to show that you can’t rely on one’s own assumptions, can you?

As I read the article I was also surprised to find that not only had he sung his one and only hit (3 times it hit the high reaches of the charts) but that he had co-written it too.

Although the “ Monster Mash” was his only hit, it was a song of which he was able to say in 1998, “I haven’t made millions, but I have been paying the rent for 36 years with this one song”.

Apart from making a warning of the dangers of making false assumptions based on personal beliefs, I was taken by the fact that, although in many people’s eyes, he was a one hit wonder, he was able to make a living for his family and himself and pay the rent, while at the same time doing something that he loved and was good at.

What about you? Are you enjoying what you are doing, whilst paying the rent?

Or are you just doing it to pay the rent, with no enjoyment or personal satisfaction in it? If so, what are you going to do about it? Continue on? Or take the risk of a career and or life change, with all its resulting risks?

It is a question that I have recently struggled with, as although I love parts of my job and will be reluctant to part from it, there are parts that I no longer can stand and have decided to make the change, but am now waiting for the right time to move. When will it come? Who Knows? But I do know it is time to stop talking about it and start looking around.

What about you? Is what you are doing to pay the rent still bringing you satisfaction, or are you like me, ready for a change, but not sure what that will be? I will let you know in due course how I go, just not sure when. Walter

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

Work sucks so bad sometimes, it's no wonder a lot of women want to stay at home with the kids. At least there they have some authority! I'm still looking for my dream job - I really need to hit the lottery to do it. But someday I'm going to have the land, the hired hands, and the sick cats that need love that would otherwise be put down. And maybe when my time comes, God will smile and then ask me what the heck I was thinking! LOL Good luck on your career change!