Sunday, May 6, 2007

100 Wet people & not one complaint.

100 Wet people & not one complaint. 5/4/2007

One morning, while I was at Work in “ my little hole in the wall” (Kiosk) at the Railway Station at around 7AM, after a lot of noise and Lightening, it finally did what it has been promising to do for some time now and rained in bucket loads.

Practically every passenger arriving for the next train got soaked to the skin, as none had brought umbrellas or coats with them, like those catching the later trains did.

Yet not a single one of the hundred or so that passed me, by had a negative comment against the rain.

To a person, everyone who commented welcomed the rain and getting wet, this once at least, was not a problem. Mind you it was also a fairly warm morning too, and most would have largely dried out by the time they got to work.

Yet I still couldn’t help but marvel at how our circumstances change our views on something as simple as this.

Normally getting wet on the way to work would have upset almost all of them, but now in the middle of an 8 year drought and with our water storage down below 30%, every one was praising the rain. Instead of cursing it they were thankful for it.

Yet I couldn’t help but wonder how grateful they would be if this happened every morning for a week or more. Which brings me to my question for the day.

How do you, and I, for that matter react to things normally? Are we consistent with our reactions? I know that I would have been unhappy yesterday & any day, if I had been out in the rain, as I hate getting wet, unless I go all the way under and stay in the water.

But apart from pet hates and loves, how consistent are we with our reactions and treatment of irregular yet routine things like the weather and how people treat us? Or is all this conditional upon our moods?

Do we react the same under most conditions or are we as variable as the changing conditions?

And if we are adjustable to varying conditions, do we clearly enunciate our reasons for our varying responses to others or do leave them unclear as to our motives and changes of attitude/reaction?

In other words I guess I am asking, can people read us correctly most of the time or do they have to assess our moods every time they speak to us, or even worse, do this even before they speak to us. Over to you: Walter

No comments: