Thursday, January 3, 2008

How Do You Choose?

I have told you about my wife’s recent Birthday. Well anything she can do, so can I! So 8 days after she had hers, I had mine. Now anyone who has a birthday close to Christmas will tell you that it is no fun when you are little and gets no better when you are older.

We normally go out as a family for Birthdays but this year mine was on a Friday and so the two younger ones had normal plans for that night which couldn’t be gotten out of. So at first it looked like I would miss out on my birthday meal out, this year. Then Both Girls realised that as it was both their places of employment break-ups the day before, each was free for the whole day and so each independent of the other, offered to take me out.

In the past we had occasionally gone with the youngest to the Pancake Parlour for a late breakfast, and as she felt like Pancakes, she offered to take me there for breakfast, and of course I could not bear to disappoint her could I? Likewise when the older one later offered to take me out for lunch I couldn’t refuse her either, could I? So instead of Missing out altogether, I had both breakfast and lunch with my wife and two Girls.

Now when our son heard that we were going out for lunch for Chinese at Eastland he wasn’t too fussed as he thought we were going to the food Court like we sometimes do. However as it was my birthday I had other plans. A couple of years or so ago a “proper” Chinese restaurant opened there on the top floor. (Ironically right behind the Pancake Parlour!)

I had always wanted to go and check it out but was originally told it was expensive and snobbish so never did. However, this time I thought we should at least try it now for my birthday, even if it is expensive! Besides even if I am the only one who thinks this, “I’m worth it!” Especially when someone else is Paying, hey!!!!!!

Now when our son heard that we were going there he was most upset as he too has always wanted to go there but hadn’t. Like his nighttime engagement he couldn’t get out of his daytime one either and so couldn’t join us. When asked why he was unhappy now and not before, He replied along the lines of, “when I thought you were going to a “Crappy” Place like normal it didn’t matter. But now I know that you are going to a good place I want to come too!”

However He couldn’t come and so missed out, but I was left wondering how often we make decisions based on where the event is being held, rather than going to the event itself.

In my son’s case it didn’t really matter where we went, he was never going to be able to come, but again what motivates us when we consider accepting or rejecting an offer from “Friends” or Family?

Do we really go because we want to be with them? Or is our decision largely based on whether the place is interesting or not? Again, what motivates you most? The people or the Place? Something for you to ponder on.

No comments: