Friday, June 29, 2007

Why Do You Like People So Much?

One of my “friends” at the Station recently hung around to ask me a personal question. The question was one that I have never been asked before and one I had never really thought about, and so I really couldn’t answer his question, of, “Why Do You Like People So Much?”

I am still not sure that I like people so much more than other people do; it is more that they no longer intimidate me. I told my friend that I was a very shy person but one who realized that so were most people and if you started a conversation with them, often you didn’t really have to say much before they opened up and often dominated the conversation. So in order to avoid standing around in a silent crowded group like a bunch of stunned mullets, I would usually start a conversation with something as mundane as the weather and see where it went. Usually as I said, I often found myself left out of the conversations before long as the others started conversing among themselves.

I really don’t think I am all that different to most people but I do believe in treating people, as I would like to be treated. If they respond in like manner, so well and good. If not, that is their problem not mine, and so I no longer worry about rejection or the fear of rejection and just move on to the next person.

It may sound too simple to be true but it has always worked for me and its is how I treat my customers at the Kiosk and apparently it works, because most of these customers are now friends although I only see them for a few minutes five mornings or less, a week.

I know a man who once said; “ I’m really a nice guy once people get to know me.” The problem with his view was that the impetus was then cast upon the other party to not only make the first step, but to meet him on his own terms, and not seek common middle ground.

What about you? Are you prepared to reach out to every one you meet, even if it is only with a mundane subject like the weather and try and meet them halfway, and leave the result up to them? Or will you continue to not only wait for them to make the first move, but expect them to do it on your terms? What say you?

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

Depends on the situation. If its at the apartment and I'm meeting new neighbors or potential ones, it's cool, I'll reach right out. But if I'm out in public, I ain't saying a word. It's nothing personal, I'm just there to do what I need to do and go back home. I'm quite anti-social. Now if someone stops me, I'll stop for a minute and say hi. But I'm not one for yapping with everyone I meet. Even when my better half takes me out with him and introduces me to people, I'll talk for a few minutes, but then I'm back to eating, watching tv or whatever we're doing. Oh and do NOT interrupt my pool game. I'll ignore you right down to the T. Unless you're my opponent, don't bother. I only listen to my sweetie and my opponent. Fussy, I am. Antisocial would be me too. I'm just that shy. I don't like people. They're in general mean, cold, dishonest, or undependable. I've met a few exceptions, especially lately. But I trust last, stay away first. Maybe that's why I like cats so much. They're quite dependable in nature and don't talk back. HA! Honestly what I think it all comes down to, is I am kinda scared of people and that I'm going to be let down again, so I just stay away. Sorry for such a rant.