Monday, June 25, 2007

A key KEY.

When I started at the Kiosk 3 years ago I took over from a young lass who had been there two months, who had in her turn taken over from a guy who had been there over 14 years. As each passed on their job, they also passed on their key, which unlocked the same two keyed-alike locks on the kiosk door.

As part of the second part of my job back at the main Newsagency I also visited a nearby storeroom at least once a week. For the first few months I always had to wait for someone with the key to come along and unlock it so I could do what I was supposed to do there. Then one day the manager said that I didn’t have to wait for him as my key should also unlock that lock too. And sure enough it did. In that same period of time I sometimes had to wait at the back of the main shop for the Night crew manager to come and open up; until he too said my key should also open the two padlocks on the back door. And sure enough it did.

Not long after the company changed ownership, we also changed storerooms, and a padlock was put on the door of the new storeroom, only this time I knew my key worked on it. It also had another small door at the back and it also had a padlock on it and it too worked with my key.

We had another driver, who sometimes also had to go to this storeroom but his key only worked on one lock but not the other. At this time we also got a new manager, who also got his own key. His, like the other driver’s, only worked the one lock and not the other.

Although I was just a lowly part-timer it turns out that I actually had one of the few Master keys to the place, although completely unknown to me and the new owners, manager etc. All this time I had something of great importance but did not recognise it as such. Nor was I able to take full advantage of what it offered, until it was revealed by others, who didn’t have it, but at least were able to recognise it.

If I was preaching I could make a great illustration about God out of this but for here, I will just focus on the normal things of life.

Are we always aware of exactly what we already have and are we using it to its full measure and to our and those around us’ advantage? Also I can’t help wondering how many other “Master Keys” do I already have, that I mistake for ordinary keys, and therefore am not getting full value out of them? And yourself? Are you using your own “Master Keys” to their full value, or like me are you in the dark about the full potentials of what you have at hand?

No comments: