Monday, June 4, 2007

Found My Beanie.

In the kiosk down at the Railway Station where I work, it gets rather cold in the winter months and although I have a heater for my lower half, my ears often get cold. So last year I bought a cheap Beanie in my AFL Football team’s colours to keep the ears a bit warmer. The Beanie even had “Tigers” stitched on it in yellow. (It also had a "Pom-Pom" on it but it was a nuisance to me and so I cut it off and threw it away.) The remaining Beanie did its job very well until the end of the cold weather.

At the end of last winter I put my Beanie away and evidently lost it. As this winter it is again cold and I needed something to keep my ears warm again I started looking for my yellow and black tiger’s beanie again in earnest. Unfortunately I couldn’t find my Tiger’s beanie anywhere. I knew where a black one was in my car but not the one in my Team’s colours.

Anyway this particular day my ears were so cold that I ran out to the car and grabbed the old black one from there. However when I went back inside and turned it inside out, I found that it was not my old black one but my tigers one which had in fact been inside out and not revealing its full colours.

So I proudly put it on my head and once again clearly showed my allegiance to the world. Well those parts that flow through the Railway station while I am there each morning five days a week.

As well as getting the normal Mocking from the other 15 club’s supporters, I once again was surprised at how many other tiger supporters are out there but who don’t normally reveal their true colours until they see someone else do the same.

What about you? Are you like that? You support something, but are not yet quite ready to reveal it to the world for fear of the Knockers? Yes there will always be knockers and you will have to live with that, but there will also be many, many others who think just like you but need some way of identifying you. Often if you don’t identify yourself, others will never know, and each of you/us will be the poorer for it.

What about it? Are you prepared to proudly announce your affiliation, whether it is to an organization, a Football club or like me, to Christ? Or are you going to hide behind your anonymity all your Life?

No comments: