Friday, June 8, 2007

All Depends On How You See It.

In my earlier “When Is A Win Not A Win?” blog, I was bemoaning how my once Glorious Football club was having a disastrous season. After a promising previous season, we have not achieved a win after the first 9 games. I like every Tiger supporter that I spoke to after last weeks draw, was not happy with this lack of success and bemoaned that we couldn’t bring home the 4 points for a win instead of only two for the Draw last week.

This gloomy attitude was quickly challenged by a new American friend. She rightly stated ”Sometimes you just have to be happy to get what you can and work from there.”

It reminded me of the story of the two people arguing whether their glasses were half full or half empty, whilst a third person looking on lamented that he would be happy just to have a glass!

Sometimes, when all is said and done, like my young American friend implies, we should just be grateful for that which we do have, no matter how little in comparison to others; and just accept it and move on. Instead of moaning, we need to accept what is dealt us, work with it and go from there. Otherwise, we will find ourselves wasting our time and energies on fruitless endeavours, like the guys arguing over whether the glasses are half full or half empty. Instead we should just be grateful for what we have and go from there. Like the third person, we should be looking for the glass, albeit empty. We should be happy to have a glass that we can fill later.

The above concept is nothing new to me, but something that I again needed to hear, so I am very grateful for my new friend’s challenge.

But what about you? Is there something that you need challenging on, yet when someone tries; do you shoot the messenger, so to speak, rather than listening and evaluating their challenge to you? Or perhaps there is someone like me, who needs a friendly challenge? Over to you.

No comments: