Wednesday, June 6, 2007

When Is A Win Not A Win?

Another little riddle for you. “When is a win not a win and a loss not a loss?”

As you know by now I am a Tiger Supporter and our start to this season has been bleak indeed. After 9 games we have yet to have a win, despite only losing 8 games. How can that be you ask? Well the answer to that is the same as the answer to the riddle that started this blog. The answer is “When it is a draw!”

Yes, although they didn’t win again, they did manage to come from behind and scramble a draw, and gained 2 points for doing it. Unfortunately they are still on the bottom of the ladder as the only other team yet to win after 8 games won their 9th and the 4 points that go with a Win.

So whilst a draw is better than a loss by far, it is still only half as good as a win, and the rewards that it brings are only 2nd best. Better than nothing at all, but still not all that is available.

As I pondered this situation I wondered how often I am content with a Draw, rather than going for the Win. Am I content with second best or will I struggle for the best that is available? As I go through my life, will I continually settle for Draws or will I consciously strive for the Win when it is available for just a little more effort? What say you?

2 comments:

Lynx217 said...

Hehe it's like being a Bengals fan. They went from only winning 4 out of 16 games to winning HALF their games the next season (we finally got a good coach). While it still wasn't enough to count it as a winning season, such a tremendous improvement was no failure either! Sometimes you just have to be happy to get what you can and work from there.

Walter parker said...

You are 100% right Lynx. Altrhough it is not the 4 points we wanted, it is still better than none, which is what a loss is woth. Thanks for the reminder.Ps. This also mu=ight end up in a blog