Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sweet And Also Bitter.

Well I finally got around to doing something about changing jobs and gave my notice in, three weeks ago. Although I am only obligated to give two weeks notice, I decided, as I knew what I was doing a month ago to do the right thing and give them plenty of warning. Anyway now I only have a week to go at my old job before having a month’s break and starting my new job.

With Mum’s passing and funeral, last week and a few other things thrown in, it has been a hectic time and so with all that and the cold winter mornings of late, I have really struggled to get up at 5am for a 5.45 start this week. The more so this morning. It was then that I had the sweet thought that I only had 6 more of these early starts to go and then I could sleep in to a more respectable time.

This was then followed by the not so sweet thought that I would only have 6 more mornings at the kiosk. This is a rather bitter sweet thought, as although there are parts of my job I really won’t miss, I will miss my “Friends” down at the Station.

While I sell around 200 papers each morning, I have very few customers. Why? Because all the rest are “Friends who just happen to buy their papers etc from me.” All this is to say that while I am happy to be leaving and excited about my new job, it does come at a cost.

All change comes at a cost, but also with rewards. And some times despite the cost we need to move on or stagnate. As much as I liked most of my job, I was starting to stagnate and now the time has come to move on. Yes there will be regrets, and yes I will miss my friends, but I will make more new ones, and there is even the possibility of maintaining some of these old friends even in my new situation.

How do you see change and the people around you? Do you fear change? And do you see people as “customers” instead of as “friends”? What say you?

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

When I was working at a convenience store right out of high school, it was in the town I'd grown up in so I knew a lot of the people already. This came in handy on May 3 1999 when a monstrous F4 tornado ripped through town. Thanks to a friend that just happens to be chief meterologist at one of the weather stations (his predecessor warned him about me LOL) I had a good 45 min warning even with no tv, which gave me the chance to get people out and home before it hit to take shelter. Days later a couple even came in to thank me saying they wouldn't have gone straight home and into shelter had it not been for my prodding.. like I'm some kind of hero or something - BAH I wasn't. I just knew what kind of devastation the storm had caused south of us as I'd been listening to the radio. Anyone stuck would've been welcome in the cooler with me. When you deal with the same people day after day, they tend to not just be customers, they become friends.