Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Not Lost – Just Hidden in plain view.

Last year I bought a cheap Beanie in my AFL Football team’s colours to keep my ears a bit warmer, while I worked in the kiosk down at the sometimes windy and always chilly Railway Station. The Beanie was in Richmond’s colours of Black and Yellow and even had “Tigers” stitched on it in yellow. While not the greatest beanie in the world, the Beanie did its job very well until the end of the cold weather, at which point I took it out of the kiosk to take home and put away for this winter.

That was the plan but something went wrong and I lost it. This winter it is again cold and I again needed something to keep my ears warm. Yet when I looked for my yellow and black tiger’s beanie in the house on more than one occasion, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I knew where a black one was in my car but not the one in my Team’s colours.

I had intended to buy another one but never got around to it and then one day at the Kiosk my ears were so cold that I ran out to the car and grabbed the old black one from there. It was not good enough last year, but I figured that anything would be better than nothing that morning. To my surprise, when I went back inside and turned it inside out, I found that it was not my old black one but my tiger’s one, which had in fact been inside out and not revealing its full colours.

You see I had always assumed that it was yellow and black all the way through and not just on the outside as it is so now obvious.

So although I had been looking for this Beanie half-heartedly for some time now, it had always been obvious and in plain sight in the back of my car, but being inside out I only saw one side of it and I could not see its true colours, until it was turned back out again. What I thought went all the way through was only on the outside and for show and not the real colour all the way through.

What about you? Are you true all the way trough or are you a bit like my Tiger’s beanie and presenting one side on the outside and a different one on the inside? Are you like my beanie in the car? On show, but showing the wrong message? Are you there to be used but not being used because you are displaying a false image and the wrong side of you? Do people have to turn you inside out to see the full and true you? That seems like it could turn out to be quite painful to do, doesn’t? What say you?

No comments: