Sunday, April 1, 2007

Blown Away despite having Done Little To Deserve it.

Over the past few months at Work I have had one particular customer come by about once a week or so to buy a bottle of water. She is probably in her late 20’s, maybe early 30’s. A very quiet , shy and reserved American lass, one I have not really been prepared to give my normal Shtick to, and one I can honestly say I have done absolutely nothing more than greet warmly, as I do all my customers, yet nothing near the normal “harassing” I give my “Chosen ones”. Despite this, I have obviously made some sort of impact on her as the last time she purchased her water from me , she told me that it was the last time she was going to do so.

As she has changed jobs and will now be driving to work, but before she left, she just wanted to thank me for my kindness and warmness to her these past few months.

Now I don’t wish to come across as falsely humble here, but I was metaphorically blown away by this, as I had really done nothing that I was aware of to warrant her thanks and appreciation. With some of the others that have come up and said goodbye to me in the past I have understood where they were coming from as I had regularly “Chided” and “Abused” them in my unique style, but with this lady I had never done so. But obviously the little that I did for her, which is what I try to do for all, was apparently a lot more than she normally experienced or even expected, and she wanted to tell me so. Even if it was only as she was leaving.

What about you? Do you greet all and sundry warmly, or do you reserve your warmth for only your friends. Has any one ever thanked you for your friendly greetings?

In return, have you ever thanked anyone for their friendly greetings? If there is someone that you now feel you should thank or recognize, do so now. Don’t wait till you are leaving! Do it now.

Thank someone today, if it is warranted. Appreciate them while they are still around. So, who do you appreciate today and why haven’t you told them so by now? Walter

No comments: