Saturday, April 14, 2007

Longer term Motivation.

In my item, “Motivation”, I mentioned how I had been re-motivated by something as simple as going for a walk with my daughters’ dogs.

I guess in many ways this is no real new revelation and is one long promoted by Doctors and others interested in physical health.

But my question is, “How do we motivate ourselves to take exercise regularly? “

I guess the only really successful way to do this, is like in so many other areas in our lives, in that we have to make ourselves accountable to others.

If we just say, I will get up every morning and go for a 15 minute walk, it won’t last long despite all our good intentions and efforts, but if we know that we are meeting two or three others to do the same thing, we will be better at keeping up our exercise regime.

Likewise if we pay big money to join a Gym, we will make every effort to get our money’s worth out of it.

During the 12 months after our time overseas finished, I was out of work and so joined my wife in doing a letter-box drop of Pamphlets twice a week to between 1 and 2,000 houses each time. The pay was lousy and as soon as I could, I found better work, but it did keep us fit and out walking, for 2 or 3 hours, twice a week, rain or shine, hot or cold, windy or calm. It was not a great job pay wise, but it was a way that we got plenty of exercise, whether we felt like it or not.

How about you? Do you really need to get out and exercise and know it? Yet can’t seem to motivate your self to do so? Then find a way. Make some Plans: Ask some friends to go with you; Join a Gym; ; join a local sporting club; find a job where you have to exercise in some form or another, even if like in letter- boxing, the pay is lousy. Don’t just suit there thinking about it! Do something, and do it soon.

If you really do need to get out and exercise regularly, find a plan that works for you, and go out and do it. Make a start now. It really is for your own good, so get out there. Walter

No comments: