Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Am Not The Only One, but what about you? 13/4/2007

Although it doesn’t happen very often, (that’s my story and I am sticking to it.) I occasionally run out of the most popular Daily Paper at my Kiosk. If it happens or looks like happening early enough, I can ring up and have more sent up. However if it happens towards the end of my stint, then it is not worth doing.

When that happens, people either have to go without or if they have time, go to a little Café nearby and buy one there. The Café is only about 60 metres away but as it is at the back of the shops on Main street and on the end of a small lane way that few know is there, a lot of the Railway travelers, although most pass it every day, are often not aware it is there and I have to direct them to it, which is funny, for if you stand outside my Kiosk, where they stand, and look in the right direction, one can see it clearly from there.

Anyway one day recently, I ran out of the main Paper and I was on the outside of my kiosk bringing in the “Headline display sign” when I saw an elderly gentleman using a stick come up the ramp to the Platform, asking for a paper as he neared me. I showed him where he could get one, but understandably he decided it really wasn’t worth his effort.

At that precise time a young man in his 20’s arrived also wanting a Paper, so I also told him where to go. (nicely though!) Commenting that he never knew it existed, he pronounced that he would indeed go and buy a paper there. To our surprise, he asked the older gentleman if he would like him to get him one too. Of course he agreed and gave him the money. As the young fellow went off, the older man said “What a nice young man”. To which I agreed. Then he went off. To buy a Ticket I think.

In due course the young man came back and went looking for the other chap, finding him around the corner.

Well was the old chap pleased? He spent close to five minutes thanking the young man for his outstanding kindness to him.

All of this overheard by me around the corner, which left me again wondering, is our society so uncaring in general, that something as simple and un-troubling to the doer, could bring such surprise and joy to the receiver?

It was also good to learn that I am not the only one in my suburb who still does normal every day unthinking acts of kindness.

I am not talking about big efforts here, but just simple ordinary, everyday actions. I mean the young fellow was going there anyway. It wasn’t as if he deliberately went out of his way at any cost, for this other chap.

Again I will ask in closing, what little thing or things, at no real cost or effort, can you do every day to help those around you, whether it is verbally appreciated or not? Walter

No comments: