Monday, April 9, 2007

Inspiration.

I don’t know if you know this but I started my blog writing by accident. Originally, these articles simply started out as short notes to my mother, of the weekly family events around us, and written down for her, as she is deaf and conversations outside of normal events are a little difficult.

Then one day I wrote a little story about the activities of one of our daughters’ dog. It was an interesting story but didn’t have a proper ending, so I applied a little moral to the story, and not only Mum, but many others liked the story, and so I started writing more and eventually started putting them onto a blog site for others to enjoy.

At first, I had plenty of inspiration and they flowed freely and I had to restrict myself to only publishing one a day. Recently however I have been struggling to supply one a day. I say was struggling, as until just last week, I only had 5 in hand: two for Christmas, one for Anzac day and two others. And it looked like I had run out of fresh ideas.

That particular day, when I sat down to write, there was nothing that inspired me enough to write about it, so I decided to go for a walk instead and took our daughters dogs with me. What a lovely idea!

Not only did they and I enjoy the walk, but I came back with the ideas for six new stories, (including this one.)

How about you? Where does your inspiration and motivation come from? Are you just getting tired and stale and need some new inspiration? Then get out and do something different for a little while, before returning to your original task.

As with my walk around the neighbourhood, it doesn’t have to be anything radical or dangerous. Just different from what you are currently doing.

I am not saying that you should completely or even temporary, cease what you are doing, just to allow yourself a little break, every now and then, to do something that will encourage, refresh and inspire you to continue on in your current calling. What say you? Walter

No comments: