Today, I thought we might look at, not just the word of the day for August 19 2011, but also at the noun it came from.
Yes, ‘runic’, Word of the Day for Friday, August 19, 2011, is the adjectival form of the Noun, ‘Rune’, which means:
1. Any of the characters of certain ancient alphabets, as of a script used for writing the Germanic languages, especially of Scandinavia and Britain, from c200 to c1200, or a script used for inscriptions in a Turkic language of the 6th to 8th centuries from the area near the Orkhon River in Mongolia.
2. Something written or inscribed in such characters.
3. An aphorism, poem, or saying with mystical meaning or for use in casting a spell.
Whereas ‘runic’ means:
1. Having some secret or mysterious meaning.
2. Consisting of or set down in runes.
3. Referring to an interlaced form seen on ancient monuments, metalwork, etc., of the northern European peoples.
So here we see that a ‘Rune’ is something plain to see, yet not plain to understand by outsiders, while “runic’ takes that idea one step further and makes it all secretive and only open to a select few in the know.
This brings me to the question in my title and especially in regard to our own personal lives. Yes, is your life open and understandable to just your own particular group or family, or worse, only open to a very select few, who can “read” you?
Or is your life an open book so to speak, and understandable to all who see it without the need of a special code book to decode your life message?
True that in some cases, some secrets or runic behaviour may be necessary, but usually most runic behaviour simply leads to a life of ruin! What say you?