Saturday, October 20, 2007

Strength In Fact and Not Just In Words.

Some time back I was in a bargain store in our local Shopping centre and saw some flat stones with words engraved on them that could be used for Paperweights or some such. They were in my opinion quite cheap and so I ended up buying half a dozen, although I only intended to buy one or two initially!

They had various Words on them but being a Bible practising Christian, I only bought those who leaned towards the Fruits of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5: 22.

However upon buying them I had a small problem, what was I going to do with all of them? Sure I could use one or two as a paperweight, which is what attracted me to them in the first place, but I didn’t have the room or need for 6 of them, did I?

Shortly after this I had to move my Cactus garden at the side of the house so that the Re-stumpers could get to the underneath of the house on that side. As I had already decided to put the Cactus garden somewhere else in theory but not yet in practise, this gave me the impetus to do so. So when I had moved the cactus patch and re-settled all the small white pebbles back around them I got the idea to put these flat stones with their one word messages on them, scattered about the new area, as a talking point. When I did so, I got one or two comments from visitors

One of those to comment on them was from one of my brother-in-laws that upon seeing them remarked along the lines of, “Oh you have them too!” It turns out that his wife; (my sister) had bought some too. Among the ones she purchased was one that said ‘Strength”. The only trouble was that my sister somehow managed to drop it from a very low height and it broke! So much for its advertised strength hey?

But isn’t that a bit like us sometimes? We dress ourselves up and tout ourselves as having some special ability but when the crunch comes and we are put to the test, we fail at the first drop so to speak?

Many years ago I heard a Charlie Pride song, of which the title escapes me but one of the lines has stuck in my memory and I have tried to model my life on it ever since.

I can’t even remember if I have the words 100% in order but it contains the lines; I’m not the worst or the best! I’m just me! I try to be exactly what you see. Nothing more or less, not the worst or the best, just me!”

Again what about you? Are you always trying to be what you are not, instead of what you really are? Instead of trying to be something or someone else; instead of trying to be the best this or that, why don’t you just try to be the “Best YOU” there is? Don’t worry about what you are not! Just be the best "you" there is and leave it at that! Walter

2 comments:

Vi said...

I like those lyrics. That's how I believe I am. You take me for who I am.

Kahless said...

Hi Walter.
I guess I am not trying to be the best or the worst me; I am just trying to find me, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your visit; most timely in some ways. I note from your profile you ask...
Do you really know where you stand before Jesus Christ?

What do you mean by that?