Saturday, February 17, 2007

I was miffed.

After 3 weeks of Holidays and not shaving I had, what I thought, was a fairly impressive makings of a beard. I have had two or three over the years but this has been the most impressive after only 3 weeks and so I was quite proud of it. Well I was until people started picking on me about it. Now Know these people and I know that they were mostly joking and only having a joke, but still I could not see why they weren’t as impressed with it as much as I was.

Now some 4 weeks later, just at the point where I am seriously thinking of getting rid of it, I am starting to get comments like, "It is starting to come along good now”, and "you are starting to look distinguished now. "(A good reason to get rid of it I think!)

The thing is that not only do other people not see things the same as we do, but we often don’t see things as others do either. What looked good to me at 3 weeks obviously didn’t look as good to others. And what looks the same to me at 7 weeks as it did at 3, looks vastly superior to others.

So what is the moral of the story? Firstly not every body sees things the same as you and that doesn’t mean that they are wrong either.

Secondly, some things just take longer to mature than you think and what is acceptable to you may not be as acceptable to others. (And vice-a versa.)

Thirdly don’t always be in a hurry, sometimes it just takes longer for others to see what you see.

So the next time you feel a little miffed that others don’t see or feel what you do, just relax and give them more time, while at the same time checking that your own opinion is in fact the right one. What say you? Walter

No comments: