Sunday, February 11, 2007

Looking for a snake, expecting to find a Lizard, but finding ?

In my last article, (with a similar title) I mentioned that when I heard my daughter’s dogs barking, I went looking for a snake, expecting to find a Lizard, but found an Echidna. I also mentioned that upon finding out what it was and assessing it as being of no danger, both I and the dogs left it alone and went about doing other things.

As I was walking away, George was hanging back a little but I noticed that the other dog, Charlie was already away standing on the ramp looking up at the sky and barking. Upon closer inspection I noticed that he wasn’t barking at the sky, but at the Rainbow Lorikeets, eating pears in the old pear tree above his head.

They were so quiet that had not Charlie spotted them I would not have seen them either. As the pears are old, small and off no value, they were again not a problem and again left alone.

Rainbow Lorikeets although not native to our area have become rather common of late and no real surprise to see there, but they are very pretty and always worth a second or third look.

I wonder how many other things off beauty there are around us that we miss out on enjoying, simply because we are not either looking for them or not properly looking at all around us but simply focused on what we want or have to do? Likewise I wonder too how much we do miss because someone else has seen something of interest but has kept it to themselves rather than tell us about them we miss out on the pleasure we would otherwise have gotten.

What about you? Are there things that you have missed out on because you didn’t look for them, and only heard of later when it was too late to do anything about it?

Likewise, are there some things that others have missed out on simply because you never took the trouble to point them out to others?

This is not an invitation to be a sticky beak or to continually bother others with every trivial matter under the Sun, but if there are things of beauty or value around us that we know that others would value and appreciate, then we should make the effort to share that news with them.

What say you? Walter

No comments: