Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Red Letter Day.

The other day was a good day for me, not that most days aren’t good but on that day I received two pieces of encouragement that I had almost given up hope of receiving.

Most people who know me do not realize that I am extremely shy. In fact if I ever want a good laugh I tell people who know me that I am shy, and it never fails to get a laugh, as they think I am joking. But the truth is I am very shy but have worked hard not to show it, but deep down it still grows.

Since our return to Australia I have read the main Melbourne paper and its “Letter’s Page” and have often been tempted to write in with my own comments, but had been reluctant to do so because one has to have their name and locality printed, and I have been unwilling to do so. It is bad enough writing to family and friends and opening yourself up to, sometimes negative comments.

It was difficult enough to publish my items on the Blog site, but at least there, the number of people who might know me is very small. (Or so I thought, but see further). However having your name out before a third of a million people paper buyers is another thing.

Anyway sometime after Christmas I finally wrote a letter and e-mailed it to the Paper. And that was the last I heard of it. I thought it was an okay letter and in response to another’s comment, and so was surprised when it didn’t appear. Then I started to wonder whether I e-mailed it to the right place or not. Anyway it did nothing for my confidence and I wrote no more till last week. I then tried again responding to an article in the paper. For the next 3 mornings I scanned the letter page to see if my letter got published this time. Again, up to the third day, I saw no sign of it. Until I decided to look at the letter of the day, for that day, while I had the page open there. As I was reading it, I thought, “Gee, that sounds familiar!” It was only then that I realized that it was my letter and that it had been adjudged the letter of the day. Well what a feeling of elation went over me, and I read and re read that letter and particularly the name on the bottom, hardly believing the facts. It is amazing the difference a bit of recognition makes!

Then I came home and opened up my e-mail and there was an e-mail from a name I didn’t know but in reference to an item posted on my Blogsite. I have had my Blogsite up and running for two and a half months now, and this was the first response that I have had that anyone was actually reading it. (Never mind the fact that this young lady is in fact the daughter of a couple we went to Bible Collage with and knew about us, although didn’t personally know us, or us her.)

Now I realize that in the great scheme of things these two events hardly seem significant but to me they were important signs of encouragement, that what I was doing was appreciated by some, even if only a couple of others.

How true this is in our every day lives. How often have you either given up or been about to give up because you didn’t think that what you were doing was worth it or appreciated?

Also how low are your expectations? I almost missed out on knowing my letter had been published because I almost didn’t look in all the places, just the one where I even then only thought I had only a remote chance of it being printed, let alone a contender for letter of the day.

Conversely how often have you been encouraged to continue with your task, often thankless, because of a word of encouragement or appreciation, or a simple thank you, or even a smile?

Now what can you do today to encourage others? A letter/e-mail? A phone call? A small word of encouragement? A smile? Please feel free to add to this list of things you not only can do, but things you will do, where appropriate: Walter

P.s. The letter was the first draft of My Madonna Blog, without the expansion and addition of the Nelson Mandela illustration.

No comments: