Sunday, February 18, 2007

Both sides of the argument.

Having lived among African people almost exclusively, for almost 12 years, I have gotten to understand them a little. Maybe not so much with the Xhosa Language, but certainly among the Xhosa people. During that time, particularly among those who speak English, I have found that although we don’t always use the same words to describe something, we do have a similar sense of Humour. I know it is only a generalization and generalizations can go badly wrong, but as a General Rule, Xhosas, if not all Africans, have a similar sense of Humour to Australians, and don’t mind taking the Mickey out of themselves, if it is appropriate.

Unfortunately not all take life as humorously as Africans and Aussies. This came to mind recently when I passed on a Humorous e-mail received originally from an African source. One that I too passed on to other Africans, both black and white, plus friends of other nationalities.

Obviously the person who sent it to me and I in turn thought it was funny. I to the point of sending it to about 20 people who I knew had spent time in Africa.

Did they think it funny? I don’t know about all of them, but I do know that two people from a specific non African country, didn’t; and wrote to me to tell me that they thought it degrading to their African brothers.

Whilst I did not initially agree with them, I do now see their point, and while I still disagree with them, I do respect their point and I respect them even more for respecting me enough to tell me their point of view, So to those two people I say, thank you very much and I am sorry for offending you. And again I thank you for correcting me.

Now what about you dear reader? Is their something in your life that you need to look at? Not only at your understanding of it, but how others with different views to you, may see it differently?

If so, how will you react to these acts of correction? Will you reject them out right? Or will you examine them carefully and even if you still do not fully agree with their view, at least respect that view and the people who put themselves open to attack to, express their views and to try and help you?

I will leave you with the words of one of my friends as the last words on the subject and as a challenge to both you and me,

Granted they were funny, but perhaps hurtful to some. When I speak about Africa I always try to think "what would I be saying were one of my African friends in the audience."

Great advice. Over to you: Walter.

No comments: