Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Madonna

I saw in the Melbourne Herald Sun on Feb.20 that the “Material Girl wants to be like Gandhi”. In the article, Madonna is quoted as saying, “I want to be like Gandhi, and Martin Luther King and John Lennon … but I want to stay alive.” Two thoughts come to mind.

Firstly I wonder whether Gandhi or Martin Luther King, woke up one morning and decided that they wanted to be somebody famous or even somebody important in the world’s eyes? Unlike Madonna, I believe they never set out to change the whole world, simply to right the wrongs they experienced around them. When Madonna (and we} start to correct and change the wrongs around us, then we to will be doing something wonderful and life changing for others. We may never become famous or even recognised but we will have done something worthwhile.

Secondly I wonder why she didn’t include Nelson Mandela in her list of heroes to emulate? After all he is still living! Oh yeah! There is that little matter of spending, what was it, 28 Years in jail? It seems a lot of us want the glory, or some of it at least, that others are getting, but are not prepared to pay the price, if that price is physical pain or incarceration or even death.

Again I don’t think any of those men and many, many other men and women who helped change the world, did it for personal gain, favour or reward. They simply did what they could do irregardless of the probable consequences. I’m sure many of them, like Nelson Mandela, never expected to survive the first few years, let alone become President of his own country.

I truly think it is great that Madonna wants to do something world enhancing like the others but I believe she shouldn’t talk about it but start doing something with her life and not just her money.

I say the same to myself and to you. Walter

No comments: