Thursday, September 6, 2007

Improving Yourself South American Style.

Was listening to a history of a South American writer on the radio recently. Although I don’t remember his name, he is now a famous writer in literary circles. However, it wasn’t always so. In fact he was so poor that he dropped out of school very early in life to live off the streets.

From then on his education was taken from books that he read. The interviewer went on to say that the choice of reading was dictated by the placement of literary works in Bookstores. In other words, where his selection of future reading material was governed by what was easiest and safest for him to shoplift.

Whilst one does condemn his thieving, one does have to admire his determination to improve himself. Again while I must deplore what he did and discourage very strongly any potential imitators, I do have to admire his drive in doing all that he could to improve himself, and his education.

What about us? What about you and me? Have we always done all that we can to improve ourselves? Have we made the most of the early opportunities that we have been given?

I know I didn’t and was fortunate to have a second chance much later on in life, without having to steal for it, but what about you?

Even now are you making the most of every chance to educate yourself further, even if just through reading books? Over to you: Walter

2 comments:

Lynx217 said...

I think it's safe to say I've learned as much if not more since I got out of school than I learned the last 4 years of school, all because I never quit reading. The schools here tend to pass over the Revolution almost like it never happened, and being the history buff I am, that's criminal! I know people with only a GED that are much smarter than people with college degrees - because they never quit reading, never quit learning. The mind is a terrible thing to waste...

Walter parker said...

Brilliant comment Lynx.
You summed up precisely what I was trying to say.
Never stop reading and never stop learning and never waste your mind/brain through inactivity. Wear it out with overuse if possible but never let it rust out!!!!!!!!!!