Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Devilment? Pure Nasty? Or Conversation Starter?

Recently I was asked why I supported a loosing Football team like Richmond, which by the way went from 9th last year to 16th this year and the only reason that they didn’t go any lower is that they couldn’t. There are only 16 teams in the Comp.

The long answer I gave for following Richmond now, is that I used to years ago and more recently I felt like I had to chose an AFL team again, even though I am no longer really into football, so I went back to them for old times sake.

Upon reflection I realise now that I am my father’s son and I did it out of devilment. Something deliberately said to provoke a response, even if you didn’t really believe it yourself.

Being a shy person, I think that he found this a good conversation starter and one that always broke the uncomfortable silence that often surrounds a shy person. Being shy myself, that is why I do it.

It has always amazed me that you can be in a room of silent people, but once someone starts a conversation that others can join in, they usually do. Some times to the point of completely dominating the conversation and often squeezing you out.

I am also amazed at the friendships I have had a part in creating down at the railway station simply by provoking conversations that others continue. Not just there in my presence, but on the train, and in some cases even going to the Footy together when their teams are playing each other.

So for me, when I am being tongue in cheek provocative, it is neither out of pure nasty, nor shear devilment itself, but as an effective conversation starter among similar shy people.

How about you? Are you often being provocative and why? To prove a point or provoke an argument or simply tongue in cheek as a conversation starter? And do the other people recognise the difference? It is one thing to say it tongue in cheek, and another to make sure that the listeners understand it as such and take it in the same vein and not take offence.

It is a fine line; so do you really know the difference and are you always aware of how other people are responding? What say you? Walter

No comments: