Sunday, August 5, 2007

What is your life’s purpose?

While at Philip Island recently, we went to the Baptist Church there. Their Weekly Bulletin had a quote on the purpose of one’s life, by Rick Warren. The basic thought was, that everyone is driven by something in his or her life. It might be a problem or some pressure or deadline or some other thing. What it is, is not as important as is knowing what your purpose in life is. It is this knowledge that gives your life real meaning and direction. Knowing your direction in life simplifies and gives direction to your life. “Without a purpose, life is motion without meaning, activity without direction, and events without reason. Without a purpose, life is trivial, petty and pointless.”

As I thought on all that, I suddenly realised that that was what had been missing in my life for the past few years and it was only lately that I have re- found my meaning and purpose in life again. And with this came the realisation that it was this journey (of re-finding my life purpose again) that has been the un-conscience inspiration behind a lot of my blogs in the past few months.

The past few years have been good in one sense but they also have been a period of wandering and wondering too. A time when my life has been trivial and pointless! Now that I have re-found my purpose again, I am stepping out boldly on that journey again. The goal is still the same, the direction, still the same, but just a different “vehicle” to get me there. In the past I was an Associate Pastor for 12 months on my way to being an overseas missionary for 12 years, then when that unexpectedly finished, directionless; till now. So now I am returning to the task of leading a Church, but this time as the official Pastor of a small Independent Baptist Church, with our/my inauguration service today. But that’s enough about me and my purpose in life.

What about you? Do you know what your purpose in life is? Has it, or just you, changed over the years? Does your life still have meaning? Or do you, like me till recently, need to make significant changes? If so, are you prepared to do what is necessary to make these changes? Are you? It has not been easy to do this for me, but it has been done. I have done it, so, so can you! But will you try? Will you?

No comments: