Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pestered By Gulls.

While on my recent holiday, as I was not allowed to do any bike riding, I did a lot of walking along the various beaches there. One mid-week day, I was walking along the deserted Cowes beach, minding my own business when suddenly I became aware of a small flock of seagulls” hovering” in the wind around me.

They were so close that I believed that someone only slightly more nimble than me could have reached out and grabbed one. They really were that close in flight. Of course I didn’t do that, after all I had no idea what I would have done with one had I been proven right by catching one!

These birds, these scavengers, were hovering around “on Spec”. I had no food with me but they didn’t know that so hung around in the hope of getting something, even if they had to pester me in the process. Eventually they got the message that they weren’t going to get anything from me and gave up and tried elsewhere, but I was left wondering at their commitment and I wondered at how committed I am at times.

Do I believe in something so much that I make the most of every opportunity? Even to the point like the seagulls and try every potential opportunity, whether it looks promising or not?

Now I know that sometimes there is a fine line between being committed and being desperate, but again one can’t but admire these particular seagulls for seeking out every possibility, checking it out thoroughly and then when there is no result moving on again to look for the next possibility available.

Do you too have that commitment? Or like me do you sometimes struggle with it? Over to you: Walter

No comments: