Friday, August 10, 2007

No Bike Riding …For Now Anyway!!.

Before we went on our Philip Island Holiday, I had an appointment with a Neurologist to assess the Physiotherapy treatment of a pinched nerve in my back. It is responding slowly and hasn’t continued on as it was starting too, so that’s good. Any way while there, I was given some simple advice about simple daily activities and about an upcoming one.

Firstly I was told that I should walk up and down all steps, one at a time and not run up them two or three at a time as I used to do. I was told that this would be better for my back. Till then I used to run up stairs two or three at a time, as I found this usually took less effort and put less strain on my knees.

Funny isn’t it, how often we do something believing it is good and helping us, not realizing that it is putting another part of us under undue stress and strain and perhaps causing untold and unheralded damage elsewhere? Weird isn’t it? While it is bringing some slight relief in one place, it is causing untold damage in another.

Like wise when I said that I was going to Philip Island and intended to bike- ride around it even more than I did last year, I was promptly told not to, as this would openly put untold and unwise strain on it and ultimately stress and damage my already weak back much more.

Now I was really looking forward to biking around the Island like last year, so what do you do with advice like that? Do you ignore it and carry on regardless? Do you take a little on board, like leaving the bike at home, but still running up stairs? Or do you both leave the Bike home and walk up stairs one at a time?

I can’t speak for you but I left the bike at home and when walking along the Beach looked for as many stairs that I could find and walked up and down them one at a time, like I was advised. Yes although reluctant, I did what I was advised, but made a game out of it by counting the number of stairs at each spot and comparing them etc.

So I ‘m not allowed to ride the bike or run up stairs! So what! I can still walk and go up (& down) stairs, and I can still make these things fun for me! What about you? What are some of the things in your life now that you have to do although you don’t like them, that you may be able to turn into a game, even if not quite turn them into fun? Let us know your new ” Fun” games. Walter

No comments: