Friday, January 19, 2007

Hanging Pots and false economy.

Although a keen gardener I tend to do things on the cheap. Thus since our return to Oz late in
2002 I have begged, borrowed and scrounged various things for the garden. The most noticeable of these would be plants and pots. As I have collected various used pots from here and there, I have picked up a few hanging baskets. Unfortunately, most were without the hangers, or what was left of the chains, was broken.

Visiting one garden place one day, I saw and bought some spare hanging chains (Minus pots.) At first I was happy with my purchase but later I walked into a Reject shop and realized that I could have bought new pots for less than half what I had paid for these new chains.

At first it seemed practical to use these existing pots, but the reality was that it would have been far cheaper to use them without chains, or even throw them out altogether than to make them hangable again.

What about your life? Is their some false economy in it? Is there something that you are hanging onto, spending more on it than it is worth when you should be either side-lining it or getting rid of it all together?

Remember it may not be necessary to throw it away completely, but better to use it for another purpose than what you are currently using it for now.

Again, what about your life? Are you living in such a way that others are getting full value from your input? Or perhaps you need new Chains like my pots?

Humanely speaking it might be false economy, but God sent His only Son Jesus to "re-chain" us, so that we can be used for our original purpose, if we only let Him.

Even though it was not economical, I did replace those Chains and the pots are now hanging and fulfilling their original purpose. Are you? Walter

No comments: