Monday, March 30, 2009

The Best Reason For Saying Sorry.

In my previous Blog, I asked the question, “Why Do You Say Sorry?” And received the following reply:” Hi Walter,
I have to answer this one because I, like you believe that the Bible has it right. So many times we hear people say ‘sorry’ when we know very well that they don’t really mean it. The Aboriginal situation is a very complex one because we all feel sorry for what occurred, but does saying sorry make it that it didn’t happen? I think not, but by the same token I guess some Psychologists would tell you that it would have had a beneficial effect for both sides. I hear mothers telling their children in the supermarkets to ‘say sorry to the lady’ for something they have done and it is obvious that the kid doesn’t feel sorry. I know it is teaching the kid that it is not right to do what they have just done but just saying sorry doesn’t make it at an end because the kid doesn’t really feel sorry at all. I personally believe that as parents we must teach our children to have respect for others, and that is something that is not happening in this day and age. We live opposite a school, and some of the children there have no respect for anybody. That does not apply to all of them because there are others there who are really respectful but unfortunately they are in the minority. That’s my say on a very pertinent subject: Alan.”
Alan has raised a very valid point in that sometimes we do have to say sorry. WHETHER WE MEAN IT OR NOT, BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!
We shouldn’t be hypocrites about it, but sometimes, when it is the right thing to do, we should not only say sorry but be sorry to. So whilst I would normally advocate only saying sorry when you really mean it, I would also advocate saying sorry when you are wrong, even if you don’t feel like admitting to it, because it is the right thing to do and you are setting the right example for others to follow too.
Thanks Alan for your insight on this subject.

No comments: