Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Lost In Melbourne On A Rainy Night.

Recently we went in to the city in daylight for the evening graduation ceremony of our last –born told in the blog, “Graduation again.” Although we only live about 30kms for the Melbourne GPO, we seldom go any where near the city if it can be avoided and especially at night, even if I did know my way around there a bit, 20 or so years ago.

Anyway, so we went in earlier as we weren’t a 100% sure exactly where the place was and where we would be able to Park. Well we found both places quite easy and while having a little time to spare decided to walk around the block anti-clockwise, as clockwise the car park and the place we were going to were close together. So we went the long way around to fill in a little time, and also bought a paper. When we arrived back at the place we needed I decided to go and put the paper in the car and top up the parking Meter. Well when we drove past the place originally in the car, we didn’t fully realize how far away we parked the car and so not going far enough this time on foot, couldn’t find it at first. Anyway with plenty of time to spare and plenty of daylight, I eventually found where I had parked the car, just a lot further on than we had originally thought. So no real hassles there.

After the Graduation service we came out to a cold and wet drizzly night and had to get to the car as quickly as we could, which we did, and then headed for home, but because of the drizzle and my lately unfamiliarity to the road, I missed the turn off that I should have taken and ended up in Richmond.

Which being a Tiger Supporter wasn’t that bad and the names Swan St and Church Rd were familiar even if the roads themselves were not but having become disorientated by this stage, even when I found a road I knew, I had no idea which way on it I was heading. The interior light in my car was not bright enough for me to read my Street Directory and of course I had left the torch at Home, and it was too wet to stand in front of the headlights. Eventually I was able to pull up outside a Motor bike display room and able to go up to their window under shelter, just to read my street directory and get my bearings again and then turn around and go back on the same road but in the opposite direction till I found the exact road I was originally looking for.

As it turned out, I had eventually stumbled onto the right road but was heading in the wrong direction. Making good time too, just going in the wrong way. That’s all. Fortunately with a bit of strong light and some clear directions I was soon able to correct that situation and not that much later we were both safely home again.

What about you? Do you sometimes start out on a journey seemingly all prepared but leaving something basic (Like a torch) at home? Do you sometimes miscalculate the true distances between objects and miscalculate where you should be at any given time. Do you sometimes miss the right turn off and continue on blindly. Like me making good time but going in the wrong direction?

Or like me also, try and find your way back with out proper direction from the map. Do you too, like me eventually, just have to stop and go to a brighter source of help to get you back on the right track? Are you sometimes making great speed but with no real idea where you are headed or even if it is the right way?

If so what do you do? Keep on blindly going? Or stop and get some advice or help and turn and go the right way. Will you do it, or just keep stumbling on blindly? What say you?

No comments: