Thursday, November 1, 2007

What Inspires You When Choosing A Name?

When it comes to choosing a child’s name, many people use various and interesting and even downright weird sources for their name choice. Some have given their children names after famous people. One person gave his son the names of every player of his favourite football team. And others have equally weird sources for their choices.

I was thinking of this as I remembered the story around a proposed name for my brother. A name he fortunately never got. How would you like to have “Hiraji” for your Christian name?

Last year we celebrated my eldest Brother’s 60th Birthday. This year, this month in fact we celebrate my other brother’s 60th birthday. Although he never got here until the middle of the month, he was expected to arrive on Melbourne Cup day of that Year and the Story goes that my grandfather wanted to name him after that Year’s Melbourne Cup Winner. So I suppose it was just as well he was late as “Hiraji’ won with “Fresh Boy” second and “Red Fury” third! None sort of drip of the tongue like Jim, do they?

Still it good be worse! If they had have followed that line of thought I would have a sister called “High Jinx”, because that is the name of the horse that won the Melbourne Cup on the day she was born some years later. (Housie was 2nd & “Ilumquh” 3rd!)

So for those contemplating naming a child in the near future, have some care as to where you draw your sources. And like my parents choose names that the children can live with and not ones that make them the butt of outlandish jokes!

In the mean time, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, little Sis.

No comments: