Friday, November 2, 2007

Grandpa’s Naming Record.

Yesterday I posted an article about an unusual name my Grandfather suggested, unsuccessfully thankfully, for my brother. Now I don’t want you to think that grandpa was a little funny in the name department himself. No way! He only had two children; one of each and each one named their first-borns after him. Just as well they were both boys wasn’t it?

(As an aside, both were named after him but only one was given his English spelling, while the other was given the Germanic spelling of his son-in-law’s ancestors. Also helped to distinguish between the two too!)

Also in grandpa’s defense, although I don’t know if he picked them personally but the names of both his children were also standard. In fact his son’s name was so popular in our family that two of his grandsons ended up with it as a middle name and a great Grandson (my boy) as his first name. (As well another cousin, not related to this side of the family, received it as his first name too.) So it couldn’t have been too bad, could it?

Then of course then there is my name, that apparently grandpa was rather influential in choosing. I don’t know if after two other boys my parents were running short on acceptable names or not, but they allowed the name of another of Grandfather’s choices to be my name. (This person was a great and famous sporting hero of a generation or two earlier, and was to be the source of my name.) I will tell you who that is in another blog. This one is just to encourage you not to get wrong ideas about people or to write them off completely without knowing who they really are, because of an opinion or view based on one weirdish event in their life. So is there anyone around you that you need to re-evaluate your attitudes to? If so what are you going to do about it? Ignore them again or at least take the first step in reaching out and leave the next step to them. Over to you!

No comments: