Thursday, March 13, 2008

Footnote to the Mechanic and the Surgeon.

I received the following reply to my blog about a Mechanic wanting the same pay as a surgeon because in his, opoinion, they both did the same Job. All to which the Surgeon replied: "Try doing it with the engine running." Thus pointing out a major difference between the two. A friend replied to this blog with the following and further difference between the two”
“This brought back a remark, many years ago a family member (a mechanic) worked for Mercedes Benz and a surgeon came in to complain his car was not working after a service and the reply from the Mechanic was I can fix my mistakes but yours end up in the graveyard!!”
This made me question myself as to how seriously I do take my tasks? Do I approach them with a care –free attitude, believing that even if I do stuff it up, I will get the chance to fix it up? Or do I approach them will the attitude that a job worth doing, is worth doing well? What about you? Do you always give your best to all you do? (Even if sometimes that “Best” will vary do to conditions like health and time constraints etc?)
I know that we, and I specifically, will never ever get it right every time, but that should never stop us from trying though, should it? What say you? Can you fix your mistakes, or does someone else have to bury them?

No comments: