Sunday, July 1, 2007

Going Away.

I finished my present job at the end of last week and having a month’s break, before starting the new job in August. I deliberately planned for being away for the whole of this month, not so much because I wanted to get away from home, but because I knew that if I stayed home, I would not get a real rest.

Despite the fact that there is plenty to do around the house, that is not why I want to get away from it. In truth I would love the freedom and opportunity to just potter around the house for a month doing the odd jobs that need doing. No that is not the problem.

The thing is that I have learnt from past experience that when people find that you are home, they want you to do things for them and you actually work harder running around after them than if you were still at work. It is sad to say but sometimes one simply has to walk away from things completely and get away for a while, just to get some quiet time for yourself.

This is not a new concept either, nor unique to me. In the Bible, in Mark chapter 6 verse 31, Jesus says to his Disciples, “Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.” Of course it goes on to say that it didn’t work and that Thousands also followed them, but somehow I don’t think I am going to have that problem, do you?

However the point I am trying to make is that all of us need to have a break from time to time and that break needs to be truly that, to be effective. A break from what we are doing and a chance to rest. Not stopping one task to do another.

Now we are actually very fortunate to be able to take a month off now, and again very fortunate to have two friends willing to put us up no charge for all that time. But one doesn’t always get that long a break. I am taking a month now, as I suspect it could be a while before I get another real chance for a proper rest.

But what about you? When was the last time you had a real rest? Even for a week? Even a weekend away? Maybe you to need to get completely away from home for a spell to do so. Fortunately we can leave our home and the two dogs in the capable hands of our children, but however you do it, do your best to get away every now and them for some genuine “you only” time. You really will benefit form it and so will others, when you come back refreshed and recharged. So where are you going and when? For us it is Wagga Wagga first and then Philip Island and its Penguins: Walter

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

Oh I sure wish I could get away for a while, but I have to make sure SOMEONE is home to take care of the one cat. Just a weekend.... Guess I'll have to settle with a day trip.